Tuesday 26 February 2013

YCN UK Greetings; illustration.

Here I'm looking at the different types of media I could use for my illustration and what works most effectively when edited digitally. 





Mattias Adolfsson - Illustration based in Sweden. 
This style of illustration is very similar to my own in the sense that the drawings are really simple with a black outline. The thing I liked most about this piece was that although the colouring is really simple, it has an element of depth to it with the way that it has been applied instead of being a block colour. The features on the characters are also really simple  which is something I utilise within my own design work too. 





Nicholas Kole - Illustrator and Character Designer. 
This is another set of illustrations I was really drawn to due to the application of colour and the fact the way it has been applied really brings the characters alive. Much like my own work, I also really like the fact that you can actually tell the illustrations are hand rendered and a lot of time has gone into them. I think hand rendered work like this is more personal to the illustrator. I particularly like the top image in the way that you can see a couple of stages the illustration has gone through with the line drawing and the application of colour because this really showcases the effect colour has on the work. 



Samantha Jones - Student based in South Africa. 
I was really drawn to this piece due to the use of bright bold colouring. The illustration part of this is what interestings me most and again I think a good choice of media has been applied because it almost makes the characters seem alive. The characters are meant to have a texture to them as this is what makes the whole piece more visually interesting as such a limited colour pallet has been used. I think the media is definitely what makes this piece so successful. 

Silvano Robles - Graphic Designer based in the USA. 
This is another type of illustration and again the overall look of the piece revolves around the way in which the colour was applied. Although I like this style because it creates bold pieces, I think because it doesn't have any depth to it as such, it doesn't really appeal to me as much. I do really like the fact that this piece doesn't really communicate anything as such and is just there to be enjoyed because the colours used make it visually appealing. 

Walker Ballantyne - Hill - Illustrator and Designer based in Canada. 
Another method of bringing illustrations to life is by applying shades of a particular coloured used in order to make this area appear more life like. Shading is another element that brings an image off the page and makes it more visually appealing. I really liked this piece because although the colours are quite bold and bright, they have a pastel characteristic to them which makes the overall piece appear professional. Although some of the colours contrast, they work really well together in the way in which they have been applied. 





Nicholas Mahlunge based in Brighton. 
These pieces really stood out to me because I personally like to draw everything with a black outline before adding colour or making it digital so they are definitely something I can relate to. I like the fact that line drawings like this don't always have to be completely perfect because if they are slightly imperfect then this seems to add more character to a piece. I also seem to have a big interest in pattern design at the moment so that's another reason why these pieces appeal to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment