Tuesday 26 February 2013

YCN UK Greetings; animal illustration.

Here I was looking at how other designers and illustrators have approached illustrating animals to inspire me. 



Andreas Preis - Graphic Designer and Illustrator based in Germany.
These pieces really stood out to me due to the unique style that this designer has used. These are just three of many designs he has done with animals. I like the fact that they are almost mosaic like because within certain aspects of the animals they have a pattern. The style throughout all of these designs is consistent too because the designer has taken key aspects and applied this throughout each design. This is something I need to think about within my own practice when creating a range. 




Bioworkz - Graphic Artist and Illustrator based in the USA. 
I really like these illustrations because although the designer has used only black and white, the animals almost look as though they are coming to life due to the depth of the illustrations and the attention to detail. I particularly like the elephant for the fact the pattern within it really works and makes such a simple animal look so magestic. Dependant on the project, this set of illustrations in particular is proof that colour is not always best and design can still be as inspiring in black and white. 



Alejandro Giraldo - Graphic Designer and Illustrator based in Colombia. 
I really like this set of illustrations because the designer has taken well known animals but applied their own unique twist on this and in a way given them personalities. My favourite element about these pieces has to be the fact that the application of colour is very subtle but makes all the difference to the image. The fact all of the different characters have been put together also shows consistency in style. 

Daniel Teixeira - Illustrator and Designer based in Portugal. 
Throughout my research so far, owls seem to be consistant theme and it's been really good to see how different designers have utilised this because I am also going to be creating an owl greetings card design. I particularly like the image above because the focus is less about the actual animal within the picture and more about what can be done with it's characteristics such as the feathers. You can really see how this image may have built up and I think it's very effective despite being simplistic. It's making me consider the fact that sometimes it's better to think outside the box with illustration. 



Veronica De Fazio - Graphic Designer based in Argentina
This is another very good example of thinking outside the box because instead of this designer illustrating the literal animals, they have decided to use shape instead. This is very true to modern day design because everything seems to be quite minimal like this. I'm particularly drawn in by these designs due to the bright colouring and the fact they aren't particularly relevent to each animal in turn but you can see exactly what each animal is. The diamond shapes falling down throughout the image is a nice touch because it breaks each one up a bit too. 




Dennis Gonchar based in Ukraine. 
More examples of minimal abstract design yet somehow these are very intricate at the same time. I was really impressed with these designs because they are completely unique to anything I've seen before. These are another series that appear to be made up of shapes but this time layered yet not as obvious unless you spend a lot of time taking them in. The random abstract backgrounds work really well here too because they fit well with the illustration style and compliment the animal wherever they have been utilised. 





MJ Da Luz - Graphic Designer and Illustrator based in Costa Rica. 
Going back to the opposite end of the scale and animals in a more literal sense. This has inspired me to consider how I can add my own twist to my illustrations. Is there something really small that ties them together? These illustrations all tie together via the fact they have an oversized head which is quite a quirky characteristic. When considering something like this I also need to think about who my target audience is going to be because to me these illustrations are aimed at a younger audience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment