Monday 11 February 2013

Tigerprint Colour; trend board, colour pallet and pattern development.

Initially I wasn't sure what direction I wanted to go in with this brief at all so as a starting point I decided to do some random doodles to see if I could get inspired. It didn't take me long to come up with something I thought I could maybe develop as I thought the fact I seem to have come up with a lot of shapes in the drawings above could be a good theme. The squares and the circles, although very simple, stood out to me so after creating my trend board I decided to develop these digitally via the scanned doodles. 

This is my intial trend board. I found the research into colour more easy going than I initially anticipated because if you follow the fashion industry, pantone and beauty industry then they pretty much have future colours sussed because designers etc will be putting their collections together now. Part of the brief was to use pantone colour referencing where possible so based on the imagery I found, I then tried to find pantone colours to match. The colour pallet I came up with based on research on the left seems to work really well because each of the colours compliment each other and there is a diverse range to work with. Not only has the trend board decided for me which colours I am going to use throughout my designs, it has also inspired how I am going to apply them. 

I started experimenting with the squares first and I took the single line and live traced this so I could apply different colours and make changes to the layout. 

I applied the colour in a really simple way to start with and decided that too much white space wasn't really working so looked at this idea of overlapping layers and colours. The choice of colours have created quite a masculine pattern but this wasn't intentional, however, it does suit my brief. 





To develop the pattern using these colours I then overlayed the squares in various different ways to see if there was anything I preferred. I quite like the direction this particular pattern has gone in because I began with something so simple. 

Due to the first pattern being quite busy, I wanted to create a simpler one for my second pattern so I went back to the basic squares. I preferred the design on the left straight away so decided to keep this. Although my target audience is going to be males for the overall project, for the purpose of submission I tried to keep the designs broad. 



I then used the same pink and purple designs but went back to this idea of overlaying the squares on top of each other to create this interesting texture. Due to the background being quite plain I decided to experiment with other colours that are going to be trending that I found through research. I feel as though this doesn't really work because it detracts from the actual pattern design. The first idea seems most successful. 


For the fourth pattern design I went back to a 'masculine' design and the idea of utilising the white space so that all of the pattern designs link to together. I quite like this particular design because it looks like graffiti art in a sense and although it's very simple, its visually engaging. 

I went back to the original pattern and decided to experiment with this a little further and I actually prefer this to the intial design I came up with. 

When I was experimenting with the pattern designs I didn't end up using all the colours I found for the trends within my research so I narrowed down my colour pallet because I didn't think these were relevent to my work anymore. Despite this, I feel as though the colours I've gone with are the most positive. 



These are the final four designs I am going to submit to Tigerprint. 




This is proof of my submission to the competition. 

I also checked to make sure my designs had gone up on the Tigerprint website the day after I submitted them. 





No comments:

Post a Comment