Thursday 21 February 2013

Fudge Kitchen; Hot Chocolat.

I've looked at Hotel Chocolat to check out their packaging as they are a high end chocolate company and I will be creating packaging for a high end fudge company so the two relate. The main thing to notice about this brand is that everything seems to have consistent, sophisticated colouring throughout and the branding itself is really simple. These factors have been noted throughout much of my research so far as being what makes a high end brand essence. Below I've chosen particular pieces of packaging that I liked the look of and that could inspire my own designs. 

The company have a range of carrier bags when their products are purchased and they vary in size to fit with the varying size of the products. The design of the bag is really simple but communicates well enough so that consumers should be able to tell automatically where the product has been purchased due to elements such as the colouring. I also know that sometimes if you're spending less money in store, they have a simple plastic carrier. 

They have utilised this idea of having the product packaged so that the packaging is also the carrier. Although I found an example in earlier research from behance, this example fits a lot better within the product area I am look at. I'm not sure how practical it would be to have an all in one carrier/packaging design because Hotel Chocolat probably treat this as a design feature and offer a carrier bag as well. If the product wasn't such a delicate one, this idea would probably work better. 

I like this particular piece of packaging for the simplicity of the design. I imagine the stock to have quite a nice finish to it and thats what will give this product it's quality. Due to Hotel Chocolat being a well established brand, they don't need their packaging to catch the eye as such because consumers will go in looking for a particular product. Even small touches such as the ribbon around the box, add to the quality. 

This packaging is very much like some that I have looked into previously. It's quite cleverly designed because the packaging itself, if you look really close, represents the chocolates that will be found within with the shape of the sides. A packaging design like this could be easily tailored to the products I am looking at but because I've seen it a couple of times, I'm less likely to use it because I want to create something more unique. I also think it's quite interesting that certain products from Hotel Chocolat start utilising colour throughout their packaging. It makes me wonder how they've made the decision about what should have colour. 

When confectionary packaging has these cut out windows it almost appears as though the company is trying to tempt the consumer because they can see the product so they know what they are getting and it also looks like it would taste really nice. This could be seen as a way of showcasing the product. This is another product that has also utilised colour but this time the decision is more clear because the colour choice is based on the product inside the box. 

 

This is the chocolate range for children that the company do. I really liked the idea of the little pots but feel as though this slips away from the quality the rest of the packaging seems to have and the quality I am also seeking for my own products. I think the reason for this being less sophisticated however, is probably very valid and something to do with the fact children won't care what the product looks like at all but the bright colour will definitely draw them in.

No comments:

Post a Comment