Tuesday 19 March 2013

Design context publication; applied image.



Stephanie Swanson - Illustrator based in the USA. 

I found this illustrator around the time I was creating my own gift range. I really like this project because although theres so many different designs and colours, everything still links together due to the illustrators style. It's also applicable to my own practice via the elements that are image based. The type side of it is also quite interesting though because it's not too heavy so it's still something that I enjoy. 

Martina Friedli - Graphic Designer and Illustrator based in Switzerland.

It was quite odd coming across this work because what drew me to it initially was the photography more than anything. The fact it has been photographed on wood rather than in the usual white background set up made me really interested. I think this approach works really well with the style of this project in particular because the designs remind me of wooden cabins in the hills and the outdoors. When I looked closer at the work too, I really like the style of illustration because it's quite detailed and the range is very different but works with consistency. 



Monika Filipina Trzpil - Children's book illustrator based in London.

I like these designs both for my love of repeat pattern and simple illustration appraoches. I quite like design that you can imagine being placed on a range of products but also that can just be enjoyed because it's visually pleasing. This also links to the work I'm currently doing with animals as the theme so it's was quite interesting to see how someone else interprets animals. 





Emma Carpendale - Illustrator based in Northampton. 

Again, photography set up drew me to these greetings cards but also the tools used to create the designs. I like the fact they are really simple but the use of colour means they don't look boring on a white background. These are the sort of cards I'd consider buying if I found them in a shop too because you are able to write a personal message inside. 

Pridumala - Pattern designer based in Russia. 

More surface pattern design, really simple design overall but the bold colours really make it have a high impact. As soon as I saw this, I wanted to know where I could get one. This designer is someone else who has made me consider further context's of where my own work could be placed because I generally don't think about the textile side of design. A lot of the pattern design found on the website very much has the same characteristics so this is someone else who I will continue to follow. 







No comments:

Post a Comment