Wednesday 1 May 2013

Nail Varnish; swatch booklet development.

As a consumer of nail varnish I've always wanted something that will show the whole product range by a particular brand so I thought as part of my brief I would design a nail varnish swatch booklet to show what is available within the new brand I am creating. 

I already had an idea of how I would like this to look in my head. I've come up with the fold in swatch booklet idea in a kind of leaflet format so everything would fold into the middle. In terms of applying the branding this was quite straight forward because I want it to be quite large on the front and foiled so it made sense to have it central. I've also included the website on the part which will fold into the middle so that when the consumer opens it, the website is the first thing they should hopefully see. I chose a square format because I thought this could be quite small and everything would fit comfortably inside this with not much space left over. 

In terms of the layout for the swatches I made this square grid which the colours could be added into. This might change depending on the colours I select for each category. 


After I'd selected what I thought would be a good range of colours for the matt collection I realised that the grid I had originally created now didn't really work because there were more colours than grid squares. I tried this portrait and landscape within the booklet design but neither really worked because there was a lot of white space around the edges. 

I then decided to lay the colours out like this so that they fit into more of a square grid format and filled more of the space within the square the matt colours are going on. I've chosen quite a few tones of different colours as examples for the range because matt is the original nail varnish colour and consumers like to have a lot of options. 

I then moved on to the metallic range where there are less colours but some of the more popular ones that I'm familiar with within existing brands. I've used pantone metallic colours swatches for this to emphasise the fact they are metallic colours because you can tell with them being a bit darker.

And finally the glitter range which I wasn't really sure how to tackle in terms of representing this in print. I decided to create a swatch of circles because effectively this is what glitter nail polish is and the consumer should easily be able to understand this. The glitter range is again smaller but like with any overall range, this is a starting point so if it were a real brand obviously each range would get bigger over time. 

----------


This is the currently finalised design for the swatch booklet. Although it's quite simple, I feel it does the job and fits the vision I have for the brand. Due to the fact I want this product to be high end but afforable, I feel that a lot of high end products tend to use the view that less is more and have quite clean cut design like this. The fact theres so much white space also ties in well with the teaser ads so this is definitely something I'll keep consistent throughout the rest of the products. I chose matt, metallic and glitter as options for products within the range because these seem to be the most popular within the industry based on my own knowledge. The fact each range gets smaller in order in the booklet works quite well too because theres a heirarchy. I need to do test prints of this booklet just to make sure the design really works. 

This is the line you can see under each range in the booklet. The colours would be named based on which range they are from for example, matt and then 1 to how ever many there are in that range so that the consumer could count the colours from left to right to find the one they would like purchase in store. It seemed an easy method of naming them instead of coming up with crazy names other brands seem to have which may be copyrighted. 



No comments:

Post a Comment