Tuesday 16 April 2013

Tigerprint Colour; invitation development.


I took my favourite pattern from the ones I have developed and started applying this to an invitation format. I've gone for square because I quite like this as a format to design with and it can be small but with quite a lot of space. I've tried to apply the pattern in a range of different ways to give myself options, including stripping the pattern right back and using it in it's simplest form which is just a single sketchy square. I think although the brief was originally about surface pattern, I've done a lot of that this year so I want to do something different. I quite like the single sketchy square, one with blue at the front and one without, because you get more detail out of it being this big so I think this is the design I will take forward. The idea of having two different designs within one pack is also quite nice for variety. 


I also started looking at different fonts you could use on the inside of the invitation for the relevent information. I've tried to go for fonts that are quite simple so easy to read but also those that stand out so they fit with the design on the outside. 


I quite like this font because it has a hand rendered approach to it and the inital square of this design was drawn by hand. Due to having two different front designs within the same pack I also thought it could be appropriate to have two different colours of the font within each. The colours are taken from the front design. 


From a recent crit we had, I printed out all of the pattern designs and asked for peoples opinions on them. They said it would be quite nice if I added some sort of finish to the design because at the moment it's quite plain and people would be more likely to buy into the product if it had a special element to it. I then had a go at foiling various patterns that I liked best to see how this would work. It didn't really work on the smaller repeat pattern because you lose the detail but on the bigger squares I want to take forward, it actually looks really good. It also doesn't matter if it's a little bit untidy because this fits in with the style of the overall design. 



No comments:

Post a Comment