Thursday 17 January 2013

YCN - UK Greetings: greetings cards designers.



Max Lippolis - Graphic Designer based in Italy.
I was particularly drawn to this piece of work because it stood out for the fact it doesn't fit the usual constraints of a greetings card. This has lead me to consider what I could do differently in order to stand out within a competative market for the brief. The design itself seems really simple, the concept is what makes this piece stand out. Something interactive could make my own product more desirable. 

Jack Teagle - Illustrator based in Newquay. 
Since finding this piece of work I've seen it in quite a few different places and it has not only been applied to greetings cards but products such as t-shirts too. I really like the hand rendered style of the illustration and this is something I try and incorporate into my own design work. Another thing to consider within my own designs is that if I have my own unique style, it is more likely to make the product desirable because consumers tend to look for something different. 


Kimberly Munn - Graphic Artist based in the USA. 
I really like the way these cards have been designed, using ink and stamps. The media is really important within greetings card design because it can either add to the quality of the product or hinder it. A product may also seem more high quality if it's obvious that a lot of time and consideration has gone into it and with designing something like this that is usually the case because these cards will have been hand made. Seeing these designs has also made me consider colour because sometimes a minimalistic approach can be most effective. 



Martina Friedli - Graphic Designer and Illustrator based in Switzerland. 
Again, these designs stood out to me because of their minimal colour pallet and simple hand rendered design approach. The colour considerations link to the time of year/occassion these cards have been designed for so this is something to think about when designing my own cards depending on the route I decide to go down. Something else that particularly drew me to this work was the way in which it had been photographed, on this textured wood surface. Although this doesn't link to my design approach, this is definitely something to consider for my portfolio when I come to photographing the briefs for this module. 

Laura Richardson - Designer and Illustrator based in the USA.
I really like this product range because it's bright, bold and exciting. Although the design itself is quite simplistic, the use of colour is definitely what seems to draw the eye in. I was also really drawn to this work because although the product range is based on the same animal, it differs slightly depending on what the product is. This has inspired me for my own product range because last time I did a project like this, I didn't really think about it in this sense and kept everything really uniform. I need to consider how I can use the same subject throughout the range but mix it up a bit to make it more visually engaging. 



Angela De Reis - Illustrator based in the USA.
I again, really liked this particular greetings card design due to the simplicity of the design. I was drawn to it because it would be something I'd consider purchasing for the simple fact that it has a badge and this is something the person I was giving the card to would be able to keep. Generally when consumers purchase cards, they don't tend to be kept and will eventually be thrown away so something to consider with my own designs is what can I add to them in order for someone to see them as a keep sake or just generally attract them to buy the product? A product within a product, like this badge, is a good yet simple idea because the consumer is likely to at least keep one or the other. 

Ed Miller - Illustrator and Product Designer based in New York.
I really like this range of greetings cards because the illustrations are fun and inviting and the colours used create bold design. Something else I really like about this particular piece of work is that despite all the designs having different things going on within them, they all still link together as a range due to a cotinuous illustration style. I could make my own range really interesting by utilising a method such as this so that the designs could reach a larger target audience because there would be more options available. 











No comments:

Post a Comment